Monday, April 02, 2007

Soooo....whaddya think?

I swear that must be the most cringed at sentence in any language, well except for 'you can't get pregnant the first time...'.

I'm not much of a group joiner. It's not that I'm anti-social or anything like that, I'm just a few good friends type of girl versus an everybody's friend type person. So I have one or two authors I chat with a little, a few people (some authors some not) that I regularly comment on their blogs etc, but in general I'm clueless as to all the hullabaloo behind the scenes of writing.

Thus far I've not been a writer who has a cp/cp group that she consults through the process(I didn't know what they were till about 8mths ago). I have asked a couple of authors of acquaintance if they would give something new a read and tell me what they think, but not necessarily very in depth, but I think it's time I found myself a cp that I can call on often to vet a scene for me.

But how do I go about this? I understand there are groups - but I don't know if large volume is going to be a good thing for me. One or two people - maybe writers, or maybe a writer and an experienced reader to get both points of view - would be more my style. How do I find them?

Is it as simple as putting up a want ad here at my blog?

Eager, responsible critique partner needed. Grammar Queen (cause mine sucks), sense of humor essential, ability to read faster than a flying cursor with an ability to render useful, sensical advice.
LOL, any takers anyone? Or, indeed, some good advice on what crit groups are worth it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I belong to a great group called the Critique Circle. It's an online community of amature and professional writers. I've gotten some great feedback from them. If you want to check them out the address is www.critiquecircle.com. Or you could try and find a yahoo group to fit your genre. There's plenty out there to choose from.

Rhian said...

Dang it - if i had ANY free time at all i would SO be all over that. I'm the queen of finding errors in already published books. Drives me bonkers. (They jump out and smack me in the eye, i swear.)

As awesome as your books are Anne, i'm certain someone is gonna jump on that offer right away, cuz they would be INSANE not to.